Family & Faith
The Harris’ and extended families celebrating a family Baptism, August 2017.
Terry and Eileen (wife) have been married for 38 years; both have lived in Edmonton for more than 45 years.
- Terry’s family roots are deep in northwest Edmonton, Ward 71. Descended from original homesteaders Georges and Nancy Gagnon (daughter of John Cunningham and Rosalie L’Hirondelle), Terry’s family members lived in the area for generations.
- Terry was born and baptized in Ward 71 (Prince Rupert and Inglewood communities and St. Andrew Parish).
- Eileen is a retired RN Nurse Practitioner, who worked her career in pediatric oncology at the Cross Cancer Institute and the Stollery Children’s Hospital.
- Eileen and Terry’s children attended Edmonton Catholic schools from K-12.
The Harris’ are practicing Catholics
- Terry has served for many years as a Lector.
- Terry is a member of the Knights of Columbus (active in the charitable works of the Knights: Christmas Hamper Drive with son Kevin, Habitat for Humanity builds, various philanthropic initiatives).
- Terry served the last four years as Trustee from NW Edmonton (Ward 71) on the Edmonton Catholic School Board, serving as Board Chair in the first year of his term and as the Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee for the last three years.
- For over fifteen years, immediately prior to being elected, Terry was President of Vantage Alliance Inc., a management consulting firm based in Edmonton.
- Terry also served as the Director of Board Governance and Ethics for the University of Alberta School of Business, Executive Education. At the same time, Terry taught a senior-level University course in Employment Relations and Employment Law for close to a decade at the University of Lethbridge satellite campus in Edmonton.
- Through his career before being elected as Trustee, Terry’s positions ranged across the spectrum: union member, manager, executive, and board member.
- Terry held various senior management positions in both the public and private sectors including Education, Healthcare, Advanced Education, Advanced Technology, Mining (metals refining), and Manufacturing.
- Currently serving as Edmonton Catholic Trustee, Northwest Edmonton, Ward 71
- Currently serving with Skills Canada Alberta as a Board member and former Chair of the Audit and Finance Committee.
- Currently serving with the Bent Arrow Society as a Board member.
Past Community and Professional Engagements
- Catholic Social Services as a Board member, and Past Board Chair.
- Edmonton Catholic Schools Foundation as Board member and Board Secretary
- Autism Edmonton as a member, Board member, Treasurer and Chair; and Autism Society of Alberta as a Board member.
- Edmonton Chamber of Commerce as a member of various committees including the Smart City Task Force and the Labour Relations Committee.
- Human Resources Institute of Alberta, Founding member.
- Canadian Institute of Management Consultants as a member.
- Institute of Corporate Directors as a member.
- Graduated from the Edmonton Catholic School Division
- BComm (Honours), University of Alberta
- MILR (Labour Relations), Cornell University